Using an estate agent
The majority of home sellers take on the task with an ally: an estate agent. They feel that it is better to entrust the sale of their biggest investment to a professional, rather than attempting to learn about selling a house in a trial and error method.
In addition, many people would rather use an agent due to the complexities of modern real estate transactions, since they usually incorporate legal and financial aspects, which take them well beyond more simple transactions such as the sale of a car.
Some of the obvious advantages of working with an estate agent include:
- Access to a multiple listing service so that large numbers of buyers will have access to the seller’s property
- The agent absorbs all of the cost of advertising and marketing
- The agent does screening of potential buyers
- The agent handles the lion’s share of the administration on a sale
Advantages of appointing an estate agent
For 95% of home sellers it makes perfect sense to use an estate agent. The advantageous far outweigh any “savings” you may think that you will make by handling the process on your own.
Naturally, anyone involved in the property market on a daily basis may “score” from handling the sale privately, but for those of us who are not “property players” it makes the most sense to leave the job in the hands of a professional. Remember: there is no short cut to experience, and selling a property has many pitfalls and can be a steep learning curve.
Consider the following as logical, time- and money-saving reasons to engage the services of an estate agent:
- Professional estate agents bring experience, expertise and skill.
- An estate agent can deal with all aspects of selling your property: from valuation, dealing with all enquiries from potential buyers and viewings to negotiating with a buyer on the selling price.
- Access to a database of home-seekers. At any one stage any estate agent will already have a host of potential buyers on their books. Their knowledge of the buyer and his/her requirements may be instantly matched to the home you have on offer.
- Estate agents know the market and also have significant advertising budgets which are utilised to sell your property.
- When using an estate agent, you can sit back and relax, safe in the knowledge that someone else has taken on the responsibility of managing your property sale.